Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings

From: E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 02:37:38 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
David Perell wrote:

>By that logic, this one declaration:
>
>  BODY { 12pt/13pt normal sans-serif }
>
>should have the effect of rendering the entire document in 12pt/13pt
>normal sans-serif, including all the headings. Fortunately, that's not
>the case.

Actually, I just tested this in Navigator 4.01.  I think you
left off the "font:" property there, but Navigator doesn't understand
that anyway.  When I use:

BODY { font-size: 8pt; }

Navigator 4.01 applies this font size to every element, including
H1 and H2 elements.

>Reader/default style declarations are not overcome by inheritance, only
>by contrary declarations.

So, that seems to be the problem -- the engineers at Netscape
missed the same thing that I missed: inherited values don't
outweigh initial/default UA style sheet values.

Houston, we have a problem.
--
E. Stephen Mack <estephen@emf.net>    http://www.emf.net/~estephen/