RE: Cascading Style Sheets

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 1997 08:25:55 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

At 11:50 PM 07/07/97 -0700, Simon Daniels wrote:
>As has been noted, It's impossible to use CSS to create interesting
>pages that work well in all the current browsers that claim support for
>CSS, let alone those that don't. This is because things like CSS layers
>aren't in IE3, and margins behave differently in different

Margins and layers should not be critical to the content of a page, so
such CSS-styled pages should be accessible in all browsers.

>If anyone can point us to interesting CSS pages that don't use margins
>or tables and work in all the browsers that claim CSS support then we'd
>love to see them. To the best of my knowledge they don't exist and never

What is "interesting"?  It sounds like you want pages that do things never
seen before, but that's not the purpose of CSS.  A good style sheet should
go unnoticed by the user.

>Personally I believe interesting CSS enhanced pages are always going to
>be browser specific - in this sense degradability isn't going to be an

Then Cascading Style Sheets have failed.  But in this case I'd rather
blame the users and implementors of the technology instead of the
technology itself.

Will Microsoft's next CSS Gallery also show how not to use style sheets?

Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.0
Charset: noconv

Liam Quinn
===============  http://www.htmlhelp.com/%7Eliam/  ===============