Re: Recognition of font families

From: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 02:24:07 +0200 (MET)
To: Gayle Kidder <reddik@sandiego.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Jul 4, 11:25am, Gayle Kidder wrote:

> You can see it all on this demo page:
> http://www.beachmedia.com/www/families.html
> (Set your default font preference to something ridiculous, like Ransom
> Paste or Old English and the failures will stand out easily.)

Thanks. Here are some screenshots on NS4.01b6 (SGI)
and NS4.01 (Mac)

The JPEG compression messes up the finer detail of the fonts but
it's enough to see what happens.

> In a techno-philosophical sense, I'd like to know what exactly fonts
> "know" about themselves. Are (or should) digital font descriptions be
> written in such a way as to include the generic family?

They can contain information of this sort, depending on the font format.
There is a bunch of this stuff in Panose, for example, which can be made
available in the OS/2 table.

> Should they also
> know what more general family style (like Old Style or Classic) that
> they belong to?

There are some tables in truetype which say that a particular font
has, say, Clarendon serifs. Again it depends on the format and it
depends on what information the font designer chooses to include.