Re: Real layout

From: William I. Johnston <wij@world.std.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 20:10:38 -0500
To: Hakon Lie <howcome@www10.w3.org>
Cc: wij@world.std.com, www-style@www10.w3.org, Dave Raggett <dsr@www10.w3.org>
I like the idea of allowing line height to depend on either
font size or text block width, as you suggest in a recent
e-mail. Notice that this may be the only way to create paragraphs
of text that, like a traditional book, have the same line-to-line
leading BETWEEN PARAGRAPHS as within paragraphs. Currently, most
browsers add an extra line of space.

Using CSS, I would love to be able to specify the top-margin as
equal to the line-height. But I can't currently do that in a
PERCENTAGE-based (i.e. non-absolute) system, because the percent
attribute (currently) relies on text body WIDTH, not LINE-HEIGHT.

It seems to me that currently the only way to "typeset" according
to traditional book specifications on the web -- in other words,
to have inter-paragraph spacing match inter-linear spacing -- is
to use negative absolute values of margin-top. This completely makes
a design depend on absolute values of font size and so forth that
seems to defeat the purpose of being resolution and platform
independent.

~c dsr@w3.org fahrner@pobox.com www-style@w3.org jenny@w3.org

Hope I cc'd this correctly.

 William I. Johnston