Re: Phrase markup (was Re: Aural Cascading Style Sheets)

From: Nick Arnett <narnett@verity.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:01:44 -0800
To: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, www-style@www10.w3.org, www-html@www10.w3.org
At 02:56 PM 1/13/97 +0100, Chris Lilley wrote:
>Far simpler is to have
>the author of the document insert an attribute. The thought of Alta Vista
>performing morphological analysis on each document per search, or the
>browser performing it before starting to display, makes me shudder.

I don't see why one should shudder -- this kind of software is quite fast
these days.

But I was saying that one shouldn't assume that the author will do this *by
hand*, not that it would be done by a third party, automated or not.  Given
that automation isn't perfect, putting these tools in the authors' hands
will result in greater accuracy -- and it distributes the task instead of
requiring the servers to do it.  Of course the tagging should have the same
syntax no matter who does it; we all should be fans of interoperability
between humans and computers.

Nick

Verity Inc.
Connecting People with Information

Product Manager, Categorization and Visualization
408-542-2164; home office 408-369-1233; fax 408-541-1600
http://www.verity.com