Re: style sheets with ancient browsers

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Joel N. Weber II wrote:

> As I understand it, that means you have to use LINK to retrive a
> file from a particular URL.
>
> That means you have to have a seprate http connection open to get
> the style sheet.  I don't object to it; and it makes life easier
> for using one style sheet for an entire site; but there will
> be some people who want to embed the style sheet at the top
> of the document.

I seem to remember this cropping up on www-html sometime last year. As I
remember it there was some discussion over using a form something like:

<LINK REL=STYLESHEET TYPE="css/text" HREF="data: H1: { color: blue; }">

I'm not sure if I've got the syntax, or even the scheme, correct, and the
recent archive isn't searchable. Perhaps someone who remembers this a
little more clearly could enlighten, but I get the vague impression
haunting me that this was an accepted way of doing things, although quite
possibly not implemented anywhere.

James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
     Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sja20@cam.ac.uk -- (0976) 212023