style sheets with ancient browsers

From: Joel N. Weber II <nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 14:31:00 -1000 (HST)
To: www-style@www10.w3.org
The following example appears in section 1.1 of the CSS1 draft I'm
looking at (a month or two old, but probably not changed from the current
approved version)

      HREF="http://style.com/cool" TITLE="Cool">
    <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
      @import url(http://style.com/basic);
      H1 { color: blue }

The documentation goes on to state that the style sheet specified with
<STYLE> will always be used, while the one specified by <LINK> is an
optional alternative.

The problem is that primitive browsers (like old versions of Lynx) will
display the stuff inside <STYLE>.  That seems wrong to me.  If the <LINK>
and <STYLE> are equal, and I'm authoring a page, I'd use <LINK>.

Is there any reason they need to have different semantics?  If we really
need different semantics, I'd prefer to have an attribute so that I can write

<LINK PRIORITY=alt .....>
<LINK PRIORITY=normal ...>

<nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>                    <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
"...For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  -- Mathew 9:13