Re: DSSSL style editing (was: RE: Positioning...)

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Jon Bosak wrote:

> Let's just take one, simple, obvious, everyday example.  I have an
> illustration that's the fourth figure in the third chapter of a book.
> It should be labeled "Figure 3-4".  I change my mind and move it
> farther down in the chapter; now it should be labeled "Figure 3-7".  I
> change my mind again and make the chapter an appendix; now the figure
> should be labeled "Figure C-7".  Show me the CSS stylesheet that makes
> this happen.

Detailed proposals have been made for extending CSS to handle
numbering, which would make your example trivial to handle.

If support for auto numbering in Web pages is important to your
company or customers, then would you be interested in helping
to lobby for this?

What about the the lack of appropriate markup for captioned figures
in html? Some vendors have stated that a single cell table is the
right thing to use for figures, but perhaps you don't agree?

Dave Raggett - <dsr@w3.org> tel +1 617 258 5741 fax +1 617 258 5999
World Wide Web Consortium 545 Technology Square, Cambridge MA 02139