Re: body:first-char and specificity of selectors

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:15:46 -0800
To: <neil@bigpic.com>
Cc: "Style" <www-style@w3.org>
<<
<P><EM>Hello</EM>

Shouldn't the P:first-letter apply to the first letter of the EM?

I believe that any inheritable properties applied to P:first-letter that are
not overridden by EM should be displayed.

<<
And if so, doesn't it make sense that I should be able to override
EM:first-letter -- meaning that when EM has a first letter in a block
level element, use this style instead?

Any declarations on EM will override properties inherited from P. EM is a
child of P. Inheritable properties applied to a pseudo-element may be
inherited, the pseudo-element is not.

David Perrell