Forget what I said about whitespace

From: Neil St.Laurent <neil@bigpic.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 16:06:28 -0600
To: www-style@w3.org
Both IE and Netscape implement whitespace stripping and token
matching incorrectly in CSS, thus I'm sure that it will become part
of the standard:

Consider:

background:repeaturl(image.gif);

That, according to the core grammar and property rules is perfectly
valid in CSS and implies that the background image "image.gif" is
repeated in all directions.

But alas, neither explorer nor netscape recognize this... meaning
that for compatiblity with existing browsers we cannot strip any
space at all from the files -- we'll still recognize the above, but
will have to put space back in afterwards.

All these problems because space was used as a token!

__