HSL, RGB, multiple and Mac (fwd)

From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:23:45 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style@w3.org
Once upon a time Smith, Brooke shaped the electrons to say...
>Why can't multiple notations be used so that if someone understands RGB
>they can use that or HSL if they prefer that or ....  Possibly encode

I set the background to 'black' or "#000000" - but then I use HSL to set
the foreground to white.

Browsers that exist *today* will not understand HSL, and are then highly
likely to set the background to black - and set the foreground to the most
common default: black.

Adding a new color encoding system to an entrenched, established system
is risky, and I don't consider it at all advisable.

There are already tools that can use HSL and RGB, so it isn't a hard thing
to set the HSL values you want, find the RGB match, and use RGB in the
document.  Change the tools, not the transport mechanism (CSS in this case).

Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588