Re: Numbering with "display: list-item" + list item border size

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Neil St.Laurent wrote:

> > item rendering is controlled by generic box renderer and not LI
> > element itself, I do not see how the information about the correct
> > index will be passed on to the renderer.
>
> By the time the list-item number gets into the hands of the box
> rendered it will have been assigned it's number and not have to worry
> about it.  While doing the initial box layout one would assume the
> parent is keeping an index of the list items, and if one of the
> list items sets itself differently then the parent reflects that
> change.  If DHTML modifies one of the list indices then it is logical
> to assume all under the same parent will have to be re-rendered
> entirely.

When you are refering to the parent, what are you talking about. AFAIK,
the CSS renderer does not actually know anything about meaning of html
tags as such. It is only told establish new container with style, add text
and add replaceable object with style. And it (the renderer) is the one
that would put a number/bullet near an item depending on what list-style
(sp?) the item is said to have in the style sheet.

Therefore, the parent in the rendering sense will not know about UL/OL
specifics with index numbering. On another hand, the document tree will
not have any relation to the layout but will know everything about list
sequence numbers. Since, however, the rendering of the bullet/number is
done by the renderer, this sequence info cannot be passeed on.

Unless, and that was my original (if badly worded) idea we are talking
about a hidden property as part of the styles that would say an index
number of an item. The renderer would look for it and, if found, use it.
If it is not found, it would just take an index of a child within its
parent.

My view of the process is based (AFAIK) on the model presented in the CSS2
document. html source -> tree structure -> tree structure with style info
-> (rendered) box tree. If I misunderstood something, I would glad to be
corrected.

Regards,
   Alex.