Re: color specification in Cascading Style Sheets

> > While RGB is convenient for machines, and often useful for people who have
> > become accustomed to it, in many situations, either the HSV or (even
> > better) HSL notations are more useful. Both of these notations are simple
> > transformations of the RGB color space, but represent more intuitive
> > spaces
>
> I urge you to read the archives of this mailing list [1] for previous
> discussions about the non-intuitive nature of HSL  (and HSV).

I will look, thanks.

> > - selecting a range of similar colors, for shadows or highlighting.
> >   Using these spaces, we simply change the value/lightness or saturation,
> >   but keep the hue the same.
>
> The corresponding activity, of changing the hue but keeping the lightness
> the same, does not give the intuitively expected results using HSL.

Not compared to the CIE uniform color spaces (which are not ideal,
either), but compared to RGB?  In my own work, I've always included HSL
because it is significantly more intuitive that RGB.

If you mechanically vary the hue, you will not get the desired results
directly, but you will be significantly closer than if you try varying the
3 rgb values together.

Thanks for the quick reply.
  blair