Re: Selector Readabiliitiy [WAS: Backwards compatibility of new selectors]

Andrew n marshall wrote:
> Definitely.  Douglas Rand's complaints are unfounded, not only for the lack
> of evidence that there is a compatibility problem, but also amount of
> effort he is requiring out of the standards group (essentially bug testing
> all existing browsers to a standard they weren't written to).  The CSS-1
> spec was enough warning (although I would hardly say it was clearly
> stated).

While I'd prefer to move onto more interesting arguments in favor
of a human readable syntax,  I'd like to address this once again.
It is not the case that I ask the group to test *all* existing
implementations.  It would,  however,  be informative to know what
Netscape 4.0 and IE 4.0 do when presented with the new syntax.  That
is *not* an insurmountable burden,  it would normally be done by the
folks at Netscape and Microsoft,  and it is extremely relevent to the
process.

You yourself state that it wasn't so clear in the original spec.  I'm
inclined to agree,  having reread the section.

Doug
--
Doug Rand				drand@sgi.com
Silicon Graphics/SSO			http://reality.sgi.com/drand