Prevention of list spamming?

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:43:09 +0100 (MET)
To: "Eric A. Meyer" <eam3@po.cwru.edu>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Eric A. Meyer writes:

 >    Okay, so it isn't spam in the sense of "unsolicited commercial e-mail".
 > However, I'm becoming increasingly annoyed by our recent not-quite-guests

 >    Is there any way to combat this-- like maybe configuring the list so
 > that only subscribers may post to it?

I think it's technically possible, but it's something I hesitate
doing. Having a public channel for feedback on W3C Working Drafts is
very important -- so important that the www-style@w3.org address is on
the first page of the CSS2 draft. We might miss important feedback if
we require people to subscribe in order to post.

That said, if www-style becomes unusable due to spam, actions will be
taken to save it. But I don't think we're there yet.

BTW, keep the feedback flowing!

-h&kon

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium