Re: Backwards compatibility of new selectors (was: Color

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:57:24 -0800
To: <neil@bigpic.com>
Cc: "Style" <www-style@w3.org>
<<Tables are one of my biggest concenrs. What will likely happen if
the TABLE standard is dropped that our implementation will have to
extend the CSS spec in order to support tables and the HTML drafts
cannot get rid of special TABLE formatting.>>

My hope is that there will be a major revise of this section before the spec
goes into 'recommendation' status. Tables should be dealt with in a
generalized way that least impacts the foundations of the spec. Making it
possible to describe HTML table formatting in terms of CSS declarations is
critical, putting arbitrary limits on the possibilities is not. If a good
model creates expanded formatting power in CSS -- such as padding on the
TABLE element -- so be it. UAs will just have to revise their
table-rendering strategies to display it. Trying to warp the model to fit
the limitations of HTML attributes or existing table-rendering code is a
serious mistake.

David Perrell