Re: Cascading Style Sheets

Chris Lilley wrote:

> LAB can show all colors that any RGB or CMYK or hexachrome can.

That's what I said (L*A*B color is supposed to show every shade color you can
think of.)

> all visible colors, by definition

above.

> whose screen? Do you have the same make of monitor I do?

Both of our monitors are constrained by the limitations of CRTs (of course, Neil
was right, I didn't think of plasma or LCD screens that can display more
colors). At the least, you can display from 0-255 red, 0-255 green, 0-255 blue,
and I'm not going to try to fix your gamma and color curve for you. That's
something we are always going to have to deal with.

> Certainly CSS is good for screen layout, and certainly CSS2 adds some
> features that are needed for printing. Go look at the CSS2 spec, the ack

That's a conversion. It's not a straight line either way. How big's a pixel
again? ;-)

> Not at all. Adding colors that some screens can display while others
> can't is fine, particularly if your monitor has a wider gamut than the
> next guys. And, it isn't a screen standard. If a company logo happens
> to contain colors that can't be represented on a particular screen, it
> still makes sense to be able to say what the color should be - and you
> may get a closer match when you print.

I stand corrected. I guess we should go all out and do the L*A*B if where trying
to get the color match, eh?

> Both are machine readable. Yes, lots of conversions would be bad. Yes,
> HLS does not represent any colors RGB cannot. And yes, the conversion
> from HLS to RGB is like 10 lines of code.

10 lines in what language? I must write terrible code!

> You do *not* want to have CMYK specifications in stylesheets, unless your
> stylesheet is targetted at a particular make and model of printer with a
> particular ink set printing on a particular weight and finish of paper.

That's still a chance you have to take. I could have a dusty, ten-year-old
monitor with a C:\> burnt into the top-left corner, and a 3-shade gamut. It's
the same parable. Of course, printers are notorious about that, but I think that
most drivers try to compesate now (but I don't like printers much, so I don't
know).