Re: Current Downloadable Font Status....

At 15:23 -0400 25.8.97, Brad Chase wrote:
> Todd Fahrner wrote:
>
> > Leaving aesthetic and legal opinions aside for a moment, my main beef
> > with Netscape's implementation of TrueDoc has to do with the
> > introduction of the POINT-SIZE attribute to  FONT.
>
> This is not a requirement of TrueDoc, which works equally well with
> relative or fixed sizes.

[snip]

> > I may be ill-informed here, but is it not the case that one must
> > specify both a font color and background color when one "rolls" the
> > non-font font ("portable font resource")?
>
> This is not true. TrueDoc doesn't really care what colors you use.

I'm glad to be corrected on both points. Perhaps you should consider
issuing some guidelines for TrueDoc authoring licensees, encouraging CSS,
relative units, etc? I arrived at both misconceptions through the user
interface of HexMac for BBEdit. I don't know whether it's possible to
produce PFRs with this tool without providing both color (background and
foreground) and (point) size values. Yet you're telling me that both are
superfluous.

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/