Re: Proprietary extensions to CSS1 already?

From: Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 18:45:42 +0200 (MET)
To: "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>, "'Chris Lilley'" <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, "E. Stephen Mack" <estephen@emf.net>, www-style@w3.org
On Aug 4,  5:37pm, Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:

> Well, and the font-family name - or am I missing something, or are you
> assuming that "UA specific" can mean "take it from the last bit of the
> src url?"

> > From:	Chris Lilley [SMTP:Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr]
> >  It should be written
> >

> > <STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--
> >     @font-face { src: url(http://home.netscape.com/fonts/sample.pfr);
> > }
> > --></STYLE>

<blush> I was talking out of some other orifice than my mouth</>

It should be written

<STYLE TYPE="text/css"><!--
    @font-face {
        src: url(http://home.netscape.com/fonts/sample.pfr);
        font-family: Sample
    }
--></STYLE>

The other properties font-style, font-variant, font-weight and font-size
can be left to take their initial values (assuming these values are
appropriate) but the font-family name is required.

Chris, your creative solution is a possible error recovery mechanism but
is fragile, as I am sure you are aware, and should not be relied upon.
I mention this in case anyone thought it was a good idea ;-). It wasn't,
it was just Chris covering himself incase the spec was extraordinary
subtle ;-)  Which  it wasn't, I was just being sloppy. Sorry.

The WebFonts spec should clearly indicate that the font-family descriptor
is required.