Re: voice-family and pitch

On Aug 4,  7:04pm, Liam Quinn wrote:

> In the ACSS Working Draft [1], it's implied but not clear that the voice-
> family property uses the same conventions of font-family [2] with regard
> to quoting names with whitespace.

Right. It does. That should be made more explicit. voice-families with
spaces must be quoted, voice-families can be quoted, the generic
voice-families (male, female, child) are keywords and are thus
not quoted.

> As well, two of the examples given with
> voice-family use multiple classes in a simple selector, which is not
> allowed in CSS1 [3].

Yup, the spec extends CSS1. Multiple classes are allowed in the
HTML 4.0 dtd, as a comma separated list. <P class="foo, bar, etc">
CSS1 was restricted to single classes in selectors because some people
could not see a use for multiple classes, or thought that the
implementation complexity would increase. It now seems that multiple
classes don't add a lot to complexity of implementation, are already
explicitly allowed ion HTML 4.0 (which was, of course, released quite
some time after CSS1) and makes style sheets shorter and more
maintainable.

The selector in the example does an AND on these

P.bar.etc { pause-before: 180ms }
P.etc.bar { pause-before: 180ms }
(these are the same, the order of classes in a class attribute is not
significant)

This selector does an OR

P.bar, P.foo { pause-before: 180ms }

This will be added to the CSS grammar.

And the obvious (I hope) case, which i mention in case people do
simplistic string matching on the entire attribute value:

P.mars { margin-left: 8% }

matches

<P class="mercury, venus, mars, jupiter">

> With the pitch property, is there any reason why relative values like
> "lower" and "higher" are not available?

No particular reason, just no-one suggested it. It sounds useful, for
the same way that relative values are useful elsewhere: it makes cascadable
stylesheets easier to write.

> And should the value <hertz> be
> generalized to <frequency> to allow both hertz and kilohertz as units?

Good idea, by analogy with s and ms.

Thanks for the feedback, Liam.