voice-family and pitch

From: T. V. Raman <raman@Adobe.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:05:50 -0700
To: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
It makes sense to allow relative pitch changes.

Generalizing pitch to be frequency and allowing kilohertz for a voice makes
little sense since the average pitch of a standard male voice is around 122 hz
(around 205 hz for a standard female voice)
and I doubt whether  you would ever synthesize speech at any pitch above 350
hz or so (this extreme case would be some kind of Mickey Mouse effect)

Best Regards,

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-129)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@adobe.com
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@cs.cornell.edu
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/raman.html (Adobe  Internal)
      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html  (Cornell)
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.