voice-family and pitch

From: T. V. Raman <raman@Adobe.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 09:05:50 -0700
To: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
It makes sense to allow relative pitch changes.

Generalizing pitch to be frequency and allowing kilohertz for a voice makes
little sense since the average pitch of a standard male voice is around 122 hz
(around 205 hz for a standard female voice)
and I doubt whether  you would ever synthesize speech at any pitch above 350
hz or so (this extreme case would be some kind of Mickey Mouse effect)

--
Best Regards,
--raman

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (408) 536 3945   (W14-129)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (408) 537 4042
      (W14 129) 345 Park Avenue     Email: raman@adobe.com
      San Jose , CA 95110 -2704     Email:  raman@cs.cornell.edu
      http://labrador.corp.adobe.com/~raman/raman.html (Adobe  Internal)
      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html  (Cornell)
    Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.