Re: The concept of cascading

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 14:55:52 -0700
To: "Jon Bosak" <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>, <www-style@w3.org>
Jon Bosak wrote:
> ... most people would rather have the enforcement come
> from the machine.  I'm speaking from direct experience of how
> publishing works in large corporations and the kinds of policies that
> have to be put in place in the absence of software support for
> enforcing stylistic consistency.

Be they cascading or parameterized, stylesheets can be kept under
central control. But can a stylesheet be an enforcement mechanism? I
thought external stylesheets were about convenience and efficiency.
Without the cooperation of authors, no stylesheet will "enforce"
stylistic consistency. But with cooperation, they will "facilitate" it.

David Perrell