Re: The concept of cascading

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 11:16:28 -0700
To: "Paul Prescod" <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>, "Hakon Lie" <howcome@w3.org>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Hakon Lie wrote:
> Badly written style sheets, or non-cooperarting style sheets will not
> cascade gracefully with other style sheets, and you are correct in
> trying to correct this view wherever you find it. What you should be
> aware of, however, is that cascading has many other benefits and that
> cooperating, well-engineered style sheets will offer benefits as
> described in the above quote.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but it seems to me CSS would be much in
demand for large organizations' intranets, where there is an overall
corporate look and feel along with 'personality' touches for various
departments. A well-designed set of cascading stylesheets would greatly
simplify the management of such a site while allowing users with
special visual needs to apply selective overrides.

David Perrell