Re: Hyphenation (was Re: A suggested tag)

From: Greg Kostello <greg_kostello@digitalstyle.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:27:14 -0700
To: Kenneth Christiansen <kenth@writeme.com>
CC: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
Kenneth Christiansen wrote:

> Dave Raggett wrote:
>
> > It makes sense then to recommend that browser support wrapping
> after
> > &shy; and to introduce a new tag for invisible hyphenation points
> > that are also invisible in downlevel browsers.  What should
> thistag
> > be called?  <W> doesn't seem sufficiently self evident. Some other
>
> > possibilities include <HYPHEN>, <SHY>, and <HY>
>
> I think <HY> sounds like a good idea. When you use this tag the
> hyphenation dictionary is ignored for the word
>
> But we also have to have a container tag to avoid hyphenation, maybe
>
> somethink like <NOHYPHEN></NOHYPHEN>

Hyphenation is a stylistic attribute not a structural change. It follows
then that an attribute could be added to CSS and there is no need to
extend HTML.

Greg

Greg Kostello                        mailto://kostello@digitalstyle.com
DigitalStyle Corporation                   http://www.digitalstyle.com/
10875 Rancho Bernardo Road, Suite 110             voice: (619) 618-2222
San Diego, CA 92127                                 fax: (619) 673-5054