Re: colours for bullets - this one is simple, works, & addresses

----------
Gordon Blackstock <gordon@quartz.gly.fsu.edu>
> Cc: www-style@w3.org
> Subject: Re: colours for bullets - this one is simple, works, & addresses
> Date: Monday, April 14, 1997 8:31 PM
>
> On 14 Apr 97 at 18:22, Gordon Blackstock wrote:
>
> > I currently use this in one of my external style sheets:
> >
> > ol    { color: IndianRed; }    /* specify text color */
> > li    { color: Orange; }         /* specify bullet color */
> >
> > The following code gives Orange markers and IndianRed text.
> >
> > <ol>
> > <li></li> A style sheet is composed of rules, i.e., p { color: Indigo;
> > text-indent: 18pt;}.
>
> This is invalid code.  You cannot have text within an OL outside of
> a LI.  You can't predict what a browser will do with invalid code.

After reading and re-reading the HTML 3.2 section on ordered lists I can
find nothing which indicates that closing an LI element is invalid; it's
optional, but not invalid. The general statement on lists allows for both
block and text level items; only headings and addresses are excluded.

> > The placement I'm using is
> > within a pair of paragraph elements, but NN falls back to the body
margins
> > for list placement.
>
> It should.  <P>Foo<OL> contains an implicit </P> before the <OL>.
> MSIE doesn't understand this, but it's true.  (This MSIE bug makes it
> hard to apply a style sheet to documents in which all <P>'s and
> </P>'s have not been explicitly included, since inconsistent
> margins often result.)

As a block level element, the paragraph element may contain other block
level elements (HTML 3.2 "Block and Text level elements") with the
exception of headings and addresses. With the advent of CSS, and its
inheritance, browsers need to pay more attention to explicit closure of
block level elements (required or not).

In this instance MSIE has done the correct thing. The block level OL, which
is contained within the block level P, inherits style properties that
haven't been altered via subsequent styles.

gordon,
gordon@gly.fsu.edu