Re: indents

From: Steve Knoblock <knoblock@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 01:51:35 -0400
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>, <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: "Todd Fahrner" <todd@verso.com>
David,
I am not deaf. Indents do have no structural meaning. And likely have no
place in a content markup language. They are presentation, which can mark a
significant break in paragraphs. My initial paragraphs do have a meaning,
they are paragraphs intended as an overview of the following paragraphs. So
I create and element <p class=initial> so I may have the opportunity to
mark them by separate presentation or search for them if we ever have an
intelligent search engine. In the same way I might create a <p
class=notice> element (because that is what sub classing does) to mark a
paragraph containing important information. I am not interested in indents
in HTML. My headings are mostly negative indented but that has nothing to
do with their meaning. I do not care whether I indent my paragraphs or
paint them red, I want them marked for their content so I may search for or
present them like any other interesting element

-sk

>INDENTS HAVE NO STRUCTURAL MEANING IN STANDARD HTML

   _/ Steve Knoblock
   _/ City Gallery - History of Photography http://www.webcom.com/cityg
   _/ Member NSA http://www.3d-web.com/nsa/sw.html