Re: indents

From: Ian Graham <igraham@smaug.java.utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:52:17 -0400 (EDT)
To: fahrner@pobox.com (Todd Fahrner)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
> there.
>
> What we need is a P:initial pseudoclass.

Such a pseudoclass must be *context* sensitive -- should it be the
first paragraph on the display, first paragraph after an H1, or
perhaps a first paragraph inside a DIV?  The latter is possible
using current selector rules -- e.g., DIV P.firstpar. The second
is not possible, as the required selector format (I can't recall
what it was) was  dropped in CSS1.

I am sure there are many common typographic formatting instructions
(first-paragraph, drop-caps, etc.) that will appear in subsequent
CSS versions. And, as usual, it will probably be css
'pseudo-terrorists' who will point the way to the  most in-demand
features.

Ian
--
Ian Graham ................................. ian.graham@utoronto.ca