Re: indents

From: Chris Josephes <cpj1@visi.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 09:02:49 -0500 (CDT)
To: David Siegel <dave@verso.com>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, David Siegel wrote:
> I want to call your attention to the fact that there is no way to denote a
> first-paragraph using HTML markup, and this makes it very difficult to do
> good typography without recoding our pages using the <DIV> tag. I am
> referring, of course, to the fact that in real typography you don't indent
> the first paragraph, that indents are <i>separators,</i> not "paragraph
> beginners." Both Todd and I have mentioned this several times, and to me,
> it shows that the priorities of the people writing HTML specs are on
> syntax, not on functionality.

While it probably isn't going to be more efficient than a DIV tage, why
not try this....

And then throw in the necessary styles to differentiate the two.

> "Simplicity... elegance... cross-platform compatibility."

Couldn't have said it better.

--- Christopher Josephes -------------------------
mailto:cpj1@visi.com               Vector Internet
http://www.visi.com/~cpj1