Re: Linked vs Imported style sheets?

From: Chris Ridd <C.Ridd@imc.exec.nhs.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 09:14:24 +0100
To: Steve Mulder <smulder@iquest.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Steve Mulder wrote:
> I'm delving into the world of style sheets and poring over the spec, and I
> confess that I don't get the distinction between linking to an external
> style sheet and importing a style sheet. Can anyone help?

The differences are really over the ease of use and reuse. If you link a
stylesheet to a series of pages using <link>, it is easy to make
centralised changes to the styles on all the pages. If you embed the
stylesheet in each page using <style>, it is harder to make global
changes.

The other difference is that MSIE does not properly support linked
stylesheets :-( as many formatting features only work when the
stylesheet is locally embedded...

Chris