CSS1 and Color - infrastructure availability clarified

On Nov 25,  4:49pm, Chris Lilley wrote:

> On Sep 10,  6:42am, David Perrell wrote:

> > Is there any progress in getting display hardware mfgr's to
> > buy into this?
>
> It seems so. Similarly for printer manufacturers. And W3C is tracking the
> issue of color rendering on the Web.

Further to that, the requirements for the "Designed for Microsoft Windows"
logo program have been upped to include mandatory ICC profiling for large
monitors and for printers, with recommended profiling for flatscreen monitors.
Also the ICM 2.0 color management system that will ship with Windows 97 has
support for sRGB built in.

 http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/devdes/icm.htm

The Mac platform has of course had an ICC-compliant CMS on all shipping
products for some time. Silicon Graphics boxes running Irix 6.2 or above
have an ICC-compliant CMS (I am told, I am still running 5.3).