Re: Transparent text

From: Green Meddler <ciupkc@tde.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:58:44 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>

> Carl Morris wrote:
> > Is there any support for transparent text in CSS?
>
> I think what you mean is 'cookie cutter' text that creates holes in its
> own background. But in any case, no.

hello everyone!

i believe this is my first post to this mailing list, so a brief intro: i
am an author and developer in many languages and formats; my current
project is about HTML and Internet Explorer 3.01 and above. In the process
of exploring (excuse the pun!) the features of IE and its Layout control, i
found a very peculiar thing: if one uses a control like a CheckBox, with no
text of its own, but just an image, the image becomes partially
transparent, based on the color of the lower left pixel. I have used this
to create exactly the "cookie" cutter effect being discussed here. if
anyone is interested, i could whip up a simple demo and post it to the list
of doing this with text.

thanks to you all for an interesting and informative list!

nathan wallace
ciupkc@tde.com