CSS1 attribute addition proposal: bg-transparency

From: James Miller <james@metabridge.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:32:55 -0800
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
I am new to this list, and new to CSS style sheets, but I have been studying the spec intently for the last couple of weeks, and for my purposes I can find really only one thing missing that would be really useful:

Value: number | percentage
Initial: 0
Applies to: all elements
Inherited: yes
Percentage values: refer to background's opacity

This property describes a degree of transparency for the element. It differes from the 'background: transparent' attribute in that it allows for a background color or image to be specificed and determins the opacity of that background in regards to elements behind it.

Values range from 0-255, or 0% to 100%, with 0 meaning not transparent at all (that is, completely opaque), and 255 or 100% meaning fully transparent (equivilant to background: transparent).

  BODY ( background: "pattern.gif")
  THEAD ( background: red; bg-transparency: 75% )

In the above example, the red background of the table header would be just visable with the pattern in the background showing through.

What do others on this list think?  To me it seems complimentary to background: transparent tag, while providing a lot more functionality and design options, and seems like it adheres to the spirit of the specification.

James Miller
MetaBridge, Inc