Re: what happens if first-line contains markup?

Lauren Wood writes:

 > It should be made clear in the draft that this applies to attributes
 > other than ALIGN, and that, as Chris Wilson said, if someone uses <I
 > STYLE='font-style:none'> that it ends up in plain text. Otherwise users
 > are going to be trying to figure out why that happened.

Why? It seems simple. Some text was put in an I element. The suggested
default rendering of I elements is italic text, if the user agent
supports it. If someone puts a style attribute on an element, they are
not going to be surprised if the style changes, are thay?

 > In the section on block-level vs inline elements, it does state that
 > browsers may hard-code that the HTML 2 elements are either block or
 > inline depending on the element.

It should perhaps be made clearer in the spec that this is not
desirable behaviour. Rather, the spec is trying to flag up some things
which may be harder for browser vendors to change and which,
therefore, the first batch of CSS-1-compliant browsers may have
problems implementing. As the code base evolves, such problems are
expected to dissapear.

 > If this is to be an option for the
 > style sheet mechanism (e.g. some browsers may always render <I> as
 > italic), this should be stated.

Some browsers might fail to implement (any random bit of css1) which
happened to be hard for their particular program, or they didn't get
round to it, or whatever. Some browsers might always render text in
black (because they are on greyscale or monochrome displays, perhaps);
there seems little value in explicitly stating this.

 >  Personally, I wouldn't mind defining
 > that B, I, TT should always be rendered as bold, italic and mono-spaced
 > as befits the names,

I would. I see where you are coming from, but there are already
browsers which do not implement I as italic, often because an italic
font is not available. With the increase in multilingual documents,
such occasions are likely to increase. You might have a roman weight
of a font for hebrew available, for example, but not the italic.

http://www.w3.org/people/chris/                       INRIA/W3C
+33 93 65 79 87            06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex, France