Functionality of Note via CSS?

From: Charles Peyton Taylor <ctaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 10:12:18 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org

Is there a way of acheiving the functionality of the
note element (from the defunct HTML 3.0) using HTML
3.2 (or 2.0) and CSS?

I can see using a paragraph with a class, but how would
I specify the accompanying icon using CSS?  (ie. not
using the IMG HTML element.)

Hey, if we added a pseudo-element .... I could rewrite
that proposal I did for the lists and HR's.  I looked
in the CSS spec, but I didn't see anything that looked
like an Icon.