W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > July 1996

Re: Gutter language

From: Ka-Ping Yee <s-ping@orange.cv.tottori-u.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 12:43:59 +0900
Message-Id: <31DC8F7F.332002E@sse.tottori-u.ac.jp>
To: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
I have little experience with typesetting, but here's a suggestion.

Hakon Lie wrote:
>Gutter: (1) the gutter margin (2) the space between columns of type,
>as in table, an index, two-column text format etc.
>Glossary of Typesetting Terms
>University of Chicago Press
David Perrell wrote:
> I noted another recent source that espouses (2). That doesn't alter my
> argument for the logical interpretation.

"Gutter" appears to be a term signifying the empty horizontal space
beside text.  According to David Perrell this applies to an entire
page of text; so why don't we just be sure to say "column gutter" to
mean the space between columns?

Received on Thursday, 4 July 1996 23:48:26 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:26:40 UTC