Re: Structural Markup / SPACER vs. other markup (was: CSS and Eccentric Poems)

From: Ka-Ping Yee <s-ping@orange.cv.tottori-u.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 21:00:38 +0900
To: Stephanos Piperoglou <stephanos@hol.gr>
Cc: www-talk@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:

> The third type ... whose name evades my memory ... is just a way of
> inserting an empty box in your document. I still don't get the ...
> usefullness of such an action!

I think it was BLOCK or something like that.  And i'm pretty sure that
it was made a part of this five-minute SPACER hack just because someone
at Netscape noticed the proliferation of one-dot clear GIFs which
people are using as spacers.

But in every instance i've seen such one-dot GIFs used, they have
always been used for horizontal or vertical spacing of the type
easily covered by CSS, without exception.  I have never seen such
spacers actually used as boxes of empty space.

Ping