Re: IMG SRC=0

Scott E. Preece writes:

 > I love stylesheets; I wish they had them in Netscape today.  I also
 > understand how it might be a major engineering job to re-work things so
 > they fit.

It isn't. The formatting engines of modern graphical browsers can do
most of the visual work already. To support CSS contextual selectors,
the browser needs the concept of a stack of open elements. If you
start from scratch there is some work to be done here, but -- as Chris
Wilson described at WWW5 in May -- it's doable for one person on a
tight time line.

 > But even if they did faithfully implement CSS1 today, that
 > still wouldn't provide the functionality of MULTICOL and would only
 > partially address the goals of SPACER.

Multi-column layouts were left out from CSS1 to make the
implementation threshold low. It seems that browsers now are getting
ready for this, and CSS will certainly not stand in the way. A
proposal for adding multi-column support in CSS can be found in [1].

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Style/css/multi-column.html

As for SPACER, the existing CSS1 properties in combination with the
STYLE attribute gives you the same functionality -- in addition to
lots of other useful stuff.

What can you do with SPACER that you can't do in CSS1?

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/people/howcome  howcome@w3.org