RE: FW: Font-family specification

From: Walter Ian Kaye <boo@best.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 14:41:58 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
At 2:22p 01/26/96, Benjamin C. W. Sittler wrote:

>Under X, for example, one would handle "Lucida Sans
>Bold" as a reference to the font "lucidasans-bold". Under MS Windows or
>MacOS, it would probably be interpreted as the modifier "bold" applied to
>the font "Lucida Sans" instead.

Actually, under MacOS there is more than one way to display a font in boldface:

  specified font        applied style   displayed result
  "Lucida Sans"         Bold            "Lucida Sans", mathematically altered
  "Lucida Sans"         Bold            "B Lucida Sans Bold" (hopefully!)
  "B Lucida Sans Bold"  none/Plain      "B Lucida Sans Bold" (if found)

DTP professionals generally use the direct ("B Lucida Sans Bold")
specification, as it is the most precise method. This might not apply to
the Web; I mention it for the sake of completeness, and as a "heads-up" for
anyone considering writing an HTML export filter for a DTP program.

-Walter