Re: FW: Font-family specification

From: Scott E. Preece <preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 14:11:38 -0600
To: cwilso@microsoft.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
   From: "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <cwilso@microsoft.com>

|   Chris Lilley wrote:
|   >I would also like to see spaces allowed in font names.  This could be
|   >done by choosing some character as a separator (such as the comma Chris
|   >suggests) <...> or alternatively by quoting
|
|   Several other people have suggested quoting; I agree quoting should be
|   allowed (that is, in the spec and supported), but I think a non-whitespace
|   separator should be used anyway, for the following reason.
---

My own inclination would be to require quotes for any names that include
whitespace.  I guess I wouldn't be adamant, though, because this list is
disjunctive rather than conjunctive, making it at least a little like
the list of selectors, as opposed to a set of values.  So, I wouldn't
object to comma separation, but I would like the standard to use only
quoted strings in examples.  I do think allowing unquoted multi-word
names is confusing.

b/t/w - I believe the current grammar would not support the suggestion - I
think it requires quoting.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550