RE: DSSSL & Interleaf

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 02:50:51 -0500
To: cwilso@microsoft.com
Cc: glenn@stonehand.com, www-style@w3.org, html-wg@fssun09.dev.oclc.org
>>This solution is specific to the document in question and wouldn't
>>work as a default.  The primary problem here is CSS's inability to
>>qualify ancestors as to immediate ancestry and to specify ancestors
>>which "block" an ancestry path.
>
>My fault for not exploring Netscape's behaviour more thoroughly.  I believe
>it is somewhat possible to describe blocking ancestors (see below); perhaps,
>if good reason is offered, immediate ancestry can be added to the CSS spec.

Things like ancestry qualification, sibling order querying, global
occurrence querying, and many other such things are very, very,
useful.

As I said before, CSS's design is such that every time it is extended,
the syntax and semantics will get hairier and hairier, until a point
is reached where it will be supplanted.