Re: CSS1, new draft specification

From: lilley <lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 1996 16:09:13 +0000 (GMT)
To: cwilso@microsoft.com (Chris Wilson)
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Chris Wilson says

> I don't like the disappearance of the $CANVAS.  Saying that "In HTML, the
> BODY element is given this role" (of acting as the container for all
> elements) falls down when you think about the effects of the default
> stylesheet on HTML 2.0 documents that do not have a <BODY> (or a <HEAD>, or
> an <HTML>).

All valid HTML 2.0 documents have a body element. For example:

 cguhpb [37]: more bodytest.html
 <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
 <title>foo</title>
 hello.

 cguhpb [38]: html-check bodytest.html
 titletest.html ...
 ... valid

They may not, as noted, actually contain <BODY> or <HEAD> or <HTML> *tags*
but if the DTD was designed to allow them to be omitted then that is fine.
So, given that all HTML documents contain a body, and given that
the HTML 3 draft (which allowed multiple BODY elements) is currently
expired, there is no problem with using style information on BODY in
this manner.

> Following this mechanism, I could for example only set the
> background color for documents which had a <BODY>.

Not so.

> I vote to keep the $CANVAS notation from the last draft.

Perhaps, but what does it do that BODY does not? What additional
functionality does it provide?

--
Chris Lilley, Technical Author and JISC representative to W3C
|  Manchester and North Training & Education Centre   ( MAN T&EC )  |