Re: Initial Draft --Cascaded Speech Style Sheets

From: Scott E. Preece <preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 20:37:45 -0600
To: gtn@ebt.com
Cc: cwilso@microsoft.com, www-style@w3.org
|   >text on the screen.  Especially, it would seem, in creating
|   >advertisements (inarguably a major faction of Web publishing), designers
|   >often want a particular font face, size, color or whatever, applied to a
|   >section of text for purely presentational (vs. content-based)
|   >reasons.
|
|   For such cases, people might be *far* better off using PDF or RTF, or
|   defining a tag set all of their own, with associated stylesheets. They
|   could define: <FONT>, <COLOR>, <MARQUEE>, or whatever they want.
---

But if the DTD included tags like product-id, product-vendor,
product-price, etc., then indexing tools could pick up the commercial
parts of the advertisement and build an appropriate super catalog of the
net, for instance.  So, I don't think PDF or RTF would be a better
choice - most advertisers want their data accessible andmeaningful
tagging is the key to intelligent accessibility.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550