StyleSheets for speaking WWW pages:

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 18:14:05 +0100
To: raman@mv.us.adobe.com (Raman T. V.)
Cc: www-style@w3.org, Jim Miller <jmiller@martigny.ai.mit.edu>, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, jg@w3.org
Raman,

 > I'd like to bring up the issue of specifying (and designing) speech-specific
 > stylesheets for WWW pages.

Indeed, one of the motivations for the work on style sheets is to
allow non-visual rendering.

 > Next, I'd like to send out a first-cut list of parameters that such a "speech"
 > style sheet would allow.  Thus, one would have ":voice normal" analogous to
 > ":fon-family times" etc.

Exactly. In CSS terms this would be properties and corresponding
values. Do you have an initial list of properties you need/want? My
initial guess would be along the lines of:

  property     values

  volume       <db> | <number>
  pitch        <Hz> | raised | lowered
  gender       male | female | child
  affect       sad | excited | ..

In addition, some speech synthesisers come with "personalites"
included, but they're probably a bit too "device-dependant" for a
specification?

I know nothing about the parameters involved in controlling braille
devices.

 > At this point, I'd first like to get the specification right --discussed on
 > this list, beaten on etc etc--
 > once we have something concrete, emacspeak will probably provide a reference
 > implementation.

Great, I look forward to putting this into the specification.

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/People/howcome  howcome@w3.org