Re: vertical-align (5.4.4)

From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 05:14:27 +0100 (MET)
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
David Perrell writes:

 > > You're assuming here that a replaced item can actually have a
 > font-size.  Is
 > > that true? It can't have a line-height currently.
 > I suppose it can't have a font-size, since font-size implies
 > line-height. So my example is bogus.

It isn't. 'font-size' applies to all elements. Also, since percentage
values on 'vertical-align' are relative to 'line-height', replaced
inline elements need the 'line-height' property as well. So,
'line-height' should apply to all elements.

 > The designers did a admirable job fitting the default HTML treatment of
 > replaced elements into the CSS model. But, IMO, two changes would make
 > the spec more versatile without screwing up current behavior:
 > (1) Allow any measurement for 'vertical-align', not just percentage.

This was an oversight we cannot fix at this point. Thanks for showing
how useful it can be, we'll keep it in mind for the next round.

H      k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria # FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome