Re: Tabs in CSS1

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:52:38 -0800
To: "Scott E. Preece" <preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>, <bert@w3.org>
Scott E. Preece wrote:
> I'd really like to see a prototype-based option as well as absolute
> positions (so you can position the tab stop so it's at least wide
enough
> for a given prototype string).

Using ems for measure and a standard font, you could spec a width that
would always size to accommodate a given string.

Obviously t'would be much simpler to have the correct width generated
automatically rather than finding it by trial-and-error. If this option
doesn't get into the spec, maybe someone can write a plug-in that gives
an em measure readout for text you highlight.

David Perrell