Re: CSS1 and Color - infrastructure availability clarified

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 1996 12:55:22 -0800
To: "Chris Lilley" <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, "www-style" <www-style@w3.org>
Chris Lilley wrote:
> There are proposals which use HTTP headers to indicate
> aspects of the display, including color depth; the server can send
the
> appropriate image.

IE already sends color depth and server-side scripting looks to be
getting more trivial. So... we check UA, version, color depth. If UA
only supports NS-216 colors send crummy images. If UA supports adaptive
or settable palettes send images optimized to one palette. If client is
true-color send images with individually optimized palettes (or maybe
16- or 24- or 32-bit). Arg.

> Thankfully, NS-216 palette is still not a standard.

Hopefully, it never will be.

David Perrell