Re: Generic Markup [was:Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar]

From: Jon Bosak <bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 23:50:59 -0700
To: gtn@ebt.com
CC: papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca, kmc@harlequin.com, marc@ckm.ucsf.edu, www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
| >I think it would be dangerous to build an information system that was
| >neither based on a particular set of element names NOR had a mechanism for
| >mapping to a standardized set of element names. That sounds like a recipe
| >for chaos to me.
|
| People have been doing this for some time now with less than chaotic
| results.

But not in an environment where hyperlinking is part of the picture.
Without a way to map agreed-upon hypertext behaviors to specific
pieces of language, the Web won't work.  HTML succeeds because it
begins with this realization (and because it attempts to implement
just the kindergarten level of hypertext, but that's another
discussion).

Jon