Re: Generic Markup [was:Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar]

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 12:57:13 -0400
To: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Cc: kmc@harlequin.com, marc@ckm.ucsf.edu, www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
At 01:37 PM 8/10/96 GMT, Gavin Nicol wrote:
>If yu have a sufficiently powerful language for specifying the
>symantics to be associated with the tree, you don't get chaos, you get
>magic.

Sure, but that "sufficiently powerful language" is likely to be chosen by
the SGML working group within the W3C. The impression I got from your posts
was that we should just move to GI-based element subclassing instead of
attribute-based subclassing. Until we require User Agents to parse DTDs (or
some other semantic mapping file), that WOULD result in chaos. So far the
conversation seems centered on parsing. Parsing GIs is easy. Understanding
them is hard (that's where DTDs and DSSSL come in).

 Paul Prescod