Re: deprecated tags in Wilbur & Cougar -Reply -Reply

From: <marc@ckm.ucsf.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:10:01 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
me
|>from documents marked up in an arbitrary DTD during the down-translation
|>to a delivery/presentation markup format as accessible and generic as HTML
|>is to let the attributes do the talking.
gavin
|Here I disagree. Attributes are fine, but you can do the same thing
|without reliance upon them. I know, I wrote an SGML->HTML conversion
|server...

How, then, do you conserve structural information from the rich DTD in the
downtranslation process to a validatable HTML doc?  And how can other
applications determine that structure?  If the choices are either tag soup
or att-itis, it seems that att-itis confines the mess to a managable
corner of the problem space (no, a bowl of tag soup won't cure att-itis).

<!DOCTYPE RICH>                 <!DOCTYPE HTML>
                                <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>...</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
<ARTICLE>                       <DIV CLASS=ARTICLE ROLE=ARTICLE>
<SECTION> </SECTION>            <DIV CLASS=SECTION ROLE=SECTION></DIV>
<SECTION> </SECTION>    ---->   <DIV CLASS=SIDEBAR ROLE=SECTION></DIV>
<SECTION> </SECTION>            <DIV CLASS=SECTION ROLE=SECTION></DIV>
</ARTICLE>                      </DIV></BODY></HTML>

-marc