Re: CSS and SGML document formatting -Reply

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@ebt.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 13:19:35 -0400
To: preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com
Cc: drand@sgi.com, rieger@bse.de, www-style@w3.org
>| What I would want as both an implementor and a web author is some style
>| sheet language which fit naturally within the syntax of HTML.  I would
>| probably not be happy with DSSSL having a lisp syntax (although I
>| haven't any problems with it myself).  Why can't a style sheet look more
>| like:
>|
>| <STYLE CLASS=ABSTRACT.PARAGRAPH
>|        SPACE-BEFORE="10 POINTS"
>|        SPACE-AFTER="20 POINTS"
>|        START-INDENT="5 EN"
>|        KEEP-WITH-PREVIOUS>
>|
>| What is the necessity to set the style declarations off in something
>| which requires a separate lexer and parser?  You could still store
>| the entire style sheet in a URL and load it once per. set of pages
>| which use the particular style sheet.
>---
>
>That's a question I wondered about, too.  Why not just create a
>DTD for stylesheets, like

This is precisely what DynaText does. A simple example (Jon has
already shown one).

        <foreground>    black   </>
        <left-indent>   10      </>
        <right-indent>  12      </>
        <line-spacing>  14      </>

This is another of the problems I have with CSS. While I like the idea
of a simple, easy to use stylesheet language, I cannot understand why
it is necessary